Tuesday 14 June 2011

Most Cringeworthy Non-Christian Argument Ever,,,

I'm just watching some standups at The Comedy Store on TV, and a comedian came on...he's Scottish, I've seen him before, and I can't remember his name.

Anyway, he came on and told us that he attended a Christian conference in Hyde Park. There was a stall set up saying 'Free Toastie for all of God's children'. This guy goes up and asks for a toastie, and is asked whether he is a Christian. The comedian replies, 'If I'm not, does that mean I don't get a toastie? Cos that's not very Christian.'

Grrr! That last comment is a comment that really gets on my nerves. It's often used, in my experience, by non-Christians wanting to get a cheap laugh around others. I've never heard it said to me in a one on one conversation, unless there is someone in earshot...but otherwise I haven't. In this case, we don't know if the guy at the stall would have given this guy a toastie or not...it would be nice to think that the event would have been a great evangelistic opportunity...then, he says that before the Christian guy can make an informed decision. And in that moment, instead of thinking evangelism, he was thinking, I've got to appear to be a good Christian in front of this non-Christian.

You could say that to any Christian, and they would be right - Christians are not able to stop sinning once they accept Jesus into their lives...but with the Holy Spirit's help, we try to glorify God through our every action because we love Him. It's a cheap blow to say to a Christian, "that's not very Christian" because that just enhances our struggle as then we are accepting their judgment of us, and feeling guilty for the thing we've done, or haven't done. When actually, we should only care about one opinion. God's opinion. We should be seeking to please Him, not people.

No comments:

Post a Comment