Wednesday 20 July 2011

US Road Trip

This has been one of my dreams for years...to fly to New York (and spend a week there checking out the sites etc), then hire a car and drive to California.

So are you going to go in a straight line there?

No way.  If this trip happens, I would like to go to visit many places in the south including going down to Miami (right at the bottom of Florida), Georgia (to see the famous lake from Sweet Home Alabama), Nashville (home of country music), Amarillo, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, then spend a few days/week in California doing all the touristy things over there.

Is this actually going to happen?

I've even bought a Michelin map of the US, usually this is a sign of pro-activity for me.  I've checked out car rental companies, and found rentals to be quite good price wise! And the cost of petrol (or gaaaas, over there) is also a lot cheaper than it is in England.

Who are you going with?

At the moment, it's just me.  However, it would be a lot cheaper, more fun, less tiring...if someone came with. My mum wouldn't mind coming, however, as she's married to my dad, it would be wrong to leave without him.  And I *really* don't want to do my dream road trip...with my parents.  Therefore, if anyone would like to re-enact Thelma and Louise with me (without the dramatic ending - I hope to make it back to England afterwards), let me know.

What are the requirements for this trip?

You've got to be fun.  You've got to have a driving licence...I'm not wanting to drive the entire way, therefore sharing the driving would be delightful.  You've got to want to be a tourist some days, and then be ok to see sights quickly (as it is a road trip...destinations in the middle won't have much viewing time), take a smiling picture, then leave...maybe buy an ice cream and souvenirs, or if it's a beach, hang out there.

Anything else?

Have some great driving music.

Final thought?

This is going to be my trip of a lifetime...and if I can save enough, I would love to do this trip either next summer or the following one.  I need this trip to happen soon, otherwise it'll never happen.  It's going to be epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment