Thursday 2 June 2011

My Extensive History with Instruments

I'm not sure about you, but I've had a long ordeal over the years in deciding which instrument to play. I had numerous factors to consider: whether my parents would approve; what I could get my hands on; what I could be bothered to practice; what would be easy to purchase; and what would be useful to play.

My various attempts to learn were fairly disastrous. Don't get me wrong, nothing went disastrously wrong...I just found a reason to stop learning. I reckon I could write a pretty good kids book going through each instrument as the reasons for stopping or not starting in the first place.

The first instrument I was made to play was the recorder. That lesson in which everyone had to bring their recorder in, and play nursery rhymes. I remember playing it - but can't remember anything about it now. I also loved playing the xylophone in infant school...but after I accidentally trod on one and sent all the metal bars on it flying, I was told off, made to sit in the corner, and not allowed to play it. Gutted.

The first instrument I wanted to play was the guitar, as my dad played, my brother played, my uncle played, and it seemed like everyone could play. How difficult could it be? As a fickle 7 year old, very. After a few weeks of attempting to play, and being put in a guitar orchestra (despite the fact I couldn't keep up with the others and eventually just acted like I could), I decided it wasn't for me. My fingers hurt, my hurt hurt, and I just couldn't be bothered...so I quit.

Then I wanted to play the trombone, but the music teacher said my arms were too short - so I wasn't allowed to. That was a gutting piece of information to receive. Therefore, she gave me a trumpet. May as well have slapped me in the face. I can safely say that didn't last long - I gave it a shot, but my parents didn't want me to have a trumpet as it would only sound good with other instruments. Good point. So I went for a euphonium - aka a small tuba. My parents also attempted to defer me away from this instrument for the same reason. They were obviously not too hot on me being in a brass band.

My parents, well my mum, was a big fan of Kenny G. A very good saxophonist. My mum wanted me to learn the saxophone. My best friend at the time played saxophone - but after seeing all those buttons and small metal lever things - I quickly opted out of it. Therefore, I resigned myself to settling with a kazoo. Simple to play, cheap to buy, and easy to hide/throw away. Perfect.

Ten(ish) years later of playing the kazoo at what would have been grade 7 standard, I was bored. So, I picked up my dad's guitar and sat by the computer - brought up ultimateguitar.com, and found a song. I had always wanted to play 'Cowboy Take Me Away' by the Dixie Chicks, they have an instrumental bit at the end of the song which I loved pretending to strum away to on my badminton racket. Therefore, this was the song I brought up with the chords. You can hover over the chord in question and it brings up this helpful little box which shows how to play the chord. After a week of practising, I played a little number to my dad. Suffice to say, his words were very encouraging, his eyes told a different story - but I appreciated the comment. So I continued. Then I went to uni and had to stop. Then I bought a second hand one from a friend of a friend, so I started again. Eventually, I was learning chords.

Somehow in between July 2008, and now... I would like to say I can play the guitar. Finally.

And as of Christmas 2010, I asked for a ukulele for Christmas - and I got one. Given it was a cheap, practice one...but with my instrument history, good call my parents...I could have given up. But for the past 6 months, I have been playing uke...and it's been going well. If you know how to play the guitar, learning the ukulele is quite simple, or it was for me anyway. The chord positions are different, but your fingers are used to having to move around on the fretboard, you just have to get used to the smaller neck to it. But once you get it, it's very worth it. As I said at the beginning, loads of people play the guitar...but not everyone plays a ukulele - it's a quirky little instrument and it reminds you of Hawaii if you let it...and you can play Jason Mraz songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment