Tuesday 8 June 2010

MTV Movie Awards

I'm watching at the moment...thought I'd give my thoughts on the winners tonight.

Twilight seem to have won big. Robert Pattinson won Best Male Performance and Global Superstar, and him and Kristin Stewart won the best kiss. It's voted by the public...which explains a lot.

For best male lead, I would have gone for Zac Efron. You probably bow your head and sigh. BUT, the other nominees being Taylor Lautner, Channing Tatum and Daniel Radcliffe - I had a point! 17 Again is not the best film in the world - but it tugs at my heart strings. Twilight does not. Harry Potter does not. Dear John nearly did - but failed. Therefore, Zac should have won in my opinion.

Biggest Badass? Winner - Rain. Never heard of him! But my vote was with Sam Worthington in 'Clash of the Titans' - if you're into Greek mythology and 3Dness...it's a safe bet, you'll like this film. I did, and really enjoyed Sam's performance as Perseus. Reminded me of Leonidas from '300' in terms of the badassness! And Gerard Butler, for the record, won Biggest Badass a few years ago!

Best Kiss? Eeeerrrmmm...I didn't have a "favourite". But none would have competed against the winning kiss from 'The Notebook' - and none would have competed against Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams acceptance kiss.

Best Villain? Should have gone to Christoph Waltz - he was fantastic. Tom Felton has nothing going compared to CW.

Best Fight? Hugh vs Ryan vs Liev - one of the best fights in recent history I feel. I loved it. You can tell that teenage guys had a big influence on this vote as the best fight were between two women, Beyonce and Ali Larter. I like them both, but a fight...no thanks.

Best WTF moment? (I don't come up with these titles!) I actually agreed with...the naked guy jumping out of the trunk in 'The Hangover' sure made me think, 'What??' - with no expletives.

Best Scared as *** Performance? Yep...Amanda Seyfried in 'Jennifer's Body' - did a good job. Not a big award, so not that fussed really.

Best Comedic Performance? I'm not a huge fan of comedy...so no one from the Hangover had my vote...neither did Ben Stiller. This leaves Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock - easy one...Sandra should have won.

Best Female Performance? Kristin Stewart - are you trippin'? Sandra Bullock won the Oscar for 'The Blind Side' - so clearly we know who actually is better. Sandra all the way.

Best Breakout Star? I don't mind.

Best Movie? This was fairly easy to predict the result...Twilight won. Of course it did...now, let's look at quality and the winner should have been...*looks at nominees*...it's slim pickings...but probably would have voted 'Avatar' - wasn't a huge fan of the story, but loved the CGI, which is more than what I can say about Twilight.

I have to wonder whether during the voting process, the millions of people who voted actually read the categories and nominees before voting. Or did they just hold Ctrl and F, typed in 'Twilight' and tick every box? This is what bothers me about the public voting - it's fickle. It's not about the quality of your performance, but about the current hype you have - to be honest, it's the only way Twilight has ever won anything! That does amuse me.

But, the highlight of the night has got to be Sandra Bullock winning the MTV Generation Award. Her first appearance since her split with husband, Jesse James. She is on the top of her game. She has had more than 20 years of experience in the movie industry - and she has always been quality. The montage they showed included some of my favourite films, Hope Floats, 28 Days, and While You Were Sleeping...and brought a huge smile to my face. When she accepted the award, she was given a standing ovation - and I brought that honour into my lounge when I got up and clapped. Even with all her amazingness - she is amazingly humble. She is back - no matter what the papers say - she is back and raring to go and I cannot wait until her next release.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Steeph!! :) I was catching up on some MTV awards news too. Even though I L♥VE twilight (lol), it has to be said that the best kiss this year should have been taylor and taylor, or if twilight, should have at least been the big finale kiss, not the "kiss me!" one from the beginning. And yes... notebook acceptance will always be best ever.

    Best male performance I agree should have been zac, and I did cry at dear john so maybe channing too. Best female performance: sandra bullock, ooor amanda seyfried.

    Oh Steph I'm just so ashamed of my beloved twilight actors, taylor lautner is ok, but rob and kristen reaaaaaaaaaally are pAINful in the clip that was shown. And even next to Harry Potter, which imho has never been great for acting from it's main characters (apart from ron :D) looked SUPERB next to it. I really really really can't wait for that now.

    But I do still love twilight. The mtv awards just don't really mean very much i don't think, they're just a popularity contest, and I think the actors themselves realise that too.

    :) Good blog! xx

    ReplyDelete