Thursday 17 June 2010

'Knowing God'

I've recently started reading this book by J.I Packer called 'Knowing God'. This has been such a challenging book, and I've not even finished it yet. I'm looking forward to reading the rest, and applying the challenges to my walk with God.

I began reading this book at Girls Reading Week at uni, and we read and discussed the first 6 chapters in detail -- and each discussion revealed a whole new level that I had never thought about with careful consideration. Why my parents steered me clear from certain things -- so I grew up with knowing to keep myself clear of those things -- but only after reading this book, I was able to understand why. And it's so important for a Christian not just to know things in their head, but in their heart.

Packer relates to these issues...and discusses them using biblical references...so each person who reads it, can see where he's coming from. This is good because he doesn't sound more superior, but rather, he has experienced the challenges we, and I, have faced and wants to share his knowledge on the subject with other Christians to help them through, and to make us think seriously about how we are walking with God.

This book needs to be done in bitesize pieces...it would be too much to try and read more than 2 chapters in one sitting. It's mindblowing when you are reminded of the whole awesomeness of God! And when I read it, I often mind myself thinking do I pray with that realisation? Do I thank God day by day? Do I come to Him with my worries and concerns? Knowing that they are nothing compared to him? He wants to know us...and we should have the desire to want to know Him. Not just know of Him, but know Him - personally.

There is another chapter which speaks of head and heart knowledge. I often misconstrue these, and they are often mixed up in my life. Head knowledge is fine...but using that head knowledge to make myself seem more worthy - is just sinful. I am no more worthy because I have read another book, or know where books of the Bible are. God loves us equally...nothing we can do can earn more of God's love, we are already accepted! We cannot be more accepted! We cannot be more loved. And nothing we do can make God love us any less. I need to remind myself, or be reminded of this wonderful truth each day...because I quickly forget, and stumble into a life without talking to God....my friend! The best friend I could have! Always here with me...even when I stumble so I can learn to rely on his strength, not mine.

His unending mercy, grace and love is astounding...

1 comment:

  1. We tried to read this in one to ones this year, but we were reading Acts too and never got through it all... in fact we only ever got to about chapter 6 too... after meeting weekly all year lol. I loved the chapter on the incarnation though. Wrote a blog about it: http://miriam-ford.blogspot.com/2010/04/god-incarnate-tis-mystery-all.html altho in loooking back... more of an extended quote than a blog lol. amazing book tho! must read more. xx

    ReplyDelete