Wednesday 9 September 2009

'Neighbours' - Does It Have The Hmmph To Keep Going?

First and foremost, of course it does. It's been going for over 2 decades...and has surprisingly made it successfully out of the channel change from BBC to Five.

I've been 'into' Neighbours, some would say, for around 10 years...my memories include Toadie being at Erinsborough High with a ponytail, and Susan Kennedy who was the principle who had long hair...and of course, I remember Lance and Hannah getting together, and Billy Kennedy!

Now, Toadie is a successful(ish) lawyer who wears normal clothes and has short hair, and Susan Kinski-Kennedy now has short hair...and is not principle, and to be honest, I don't know what she is now. Lance, Hannah and Billy have all gone. I have since Billy sometimes in 'House'...and often think the only thing left in 'Neighbours' to remind us of Billy is his picture on the wall of the Kennedy house.

The 'Neighbours' writers know how to keep me watching...they'll bring in new characters (who I won't like on first sight), but then somehow, I end up really liking them in some cases. Much like Lucas Fitzgerald and Donna. However, they have been unsuccessful in the cases of the Kinski kids, Sunny, and Callum. Shame really.

I'm still watching the show to this day, and even though the plotlines occasionally suck - I think my memories of the past keep me watching - having that shining hope that it will become what it once was. Libby was always my favourite in the past, and when she was brought back a couple of years ago...I thought that the revival would occur...but it hasn't just yet.

The acting from some of the cast is shocking, and other times quite phenomenal. Sunny is shocking - she'll put an American twang on some words, and an Aussie twang on others - that bugs me no end. The actors who have the ability to make me shed a tear are the phenomal ones - Susan, when she became temporarily blind from her MS and was calling for Libby...wow, that was an emotional episode. And Steph...she's just awesome.

Anyway, that's enough of my talk. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment