Monday 18 April 2011

NWA + HBC

Anyone know what these acronyms stand for? Yes...well done. NWA is New Word Alive, and HBC is Holiday Bible Club.

Last week, I spent an amazing week in Pwllheli at New Word Alive, a Christian conference full of great teaching, worship and friendships. I can't quite describe how much I enjoyed last week, and can't quite describe the intricacies of the emotions I experienced there when I realised...again...what a horrible sinner I am, and when I realised...again...how loving a God I have, and how he sent his son to pay for the sins of mine which I am so ashamed of. He has paid the price for me - one atoning sacrifice...and now, it's not about what I can do to achieve salvation, but it's what God has already done. With this in mind, God is bigger than any sin (compared to God, our sin is nothing) and he is gracious and glorious, and not only has he already saved us, but he helps us to live for Him by giving us his Spirit! What a gift! I am so undeserving of it, yet, God has graciously given me this gift to help me live for his glory. Fantastic. This is a brief description of my emotions, if you'd like to know more, talk to me. I'm going to get on with the next section of this post...

HBC. Holiday Bible Club. This is an amazing opportunity to tell kids about the above! The thing is that children can understand and know what they need to do to be saved...yet, I still think I can earn my salvation? As adults, we can often twist and over complicate the gospel, when it's actually a very simple message. Last week was a great week to help me remember the glorious gospel, and this week helps me to remember the simplicity of the gospel. I'm so thankful that I can serve God in this way by doing HBC...I'm so thankful that God saved me. One of the questions that was on the worksheet today was what do we see in the world that makes us remember that God is amazing - the kids were giving great answers like the countryside. The countryside, the mountains, the sea...I often take for granted. I've seen them so many times, it's like they're just a part of my thinking -- and I can often forget that it had a Creator. I had a moment last week where I did the whole 'Gladiator' thing, and picked up some sand from the beach...and just looking at each tiny grain of sand was created by God - and it just struck me as brilliant.

It's been one day of HBC so far, and enjoying it so far. The kids understand it, they don't try to extort it - the gospel is simple, and God is amazing. Easy stuff. It's great to be reminded of it by the kids. The memory verse is Romans 5:8, 'But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: Whilst we were still sinners, Christ died for us.' - such a great verse, it's our one memory verse for this week....it'll not only be good for the kids to understand this verse really well, but for me too.

I'm up early tomorrow again ready for another HBC day! So I'm going to be off - check you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment