Sunday 11 July 2010

Pop Music - aka "Popular Music"

My first single? - 'Ooh Aah Just a Little Bit' by Gina G

My first concert? - Steps.

My first album? - Steps.

Favourite Friday evening programme? - Top of the Pops


Ok, from this, you can probably tell that I've grown up with pop music.

So between being born up until around 2001...I was very much into pop music - I always checked the charts, and knew the dances that were essential to gain you respect at the school disco.

Then, December 2001 came around. I was so excited. My mum and I had tickets to see my favourite band 'Steps'...the Gold tour (all the best hits!). We had a great time! Then on Christmas Day, I was so happy to find the Steps Gold CD inside some wrapping paper. I was on Cloud Nine.

Then horror struck on Boxing Day. I was sat on the sofa...pretty stoked about my Christmas. My mum came down, and she came over to me and said 'I have some bad news...' - immediately I could sense what it was (I'm 11 years old, what else was it going to be), Steps had announced their split.

From that moment on...I continued to listen to Steps in the hope they would reunite - in the hope that is was only a misunderstanding. I stopped watching the charts - Steps weren't on there - what was the point? And decided no other pop music could ever be as great as Steps.

Then in 2004, I discovered country music. Tim McGraw to be specific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSGLZd9Vg4

I got his CD for my birthday, and began to get into some more country artists. LeAnn Rimes, Brad Paisley, Josh Turner, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood.

I still love country music - still at the top of my most liked genres. But now, pop music is making a comeback into my iTunes. I never could think it was possible. KeSha, Katy Perry, and Miley Cyrus have recently made it in. I think this change has been because of 'Glee' - it has various genres of music in it - but does tend to give it a pop spin to the covers. And I love 'Glee'. This show opened the doors again...to show me that pop music has become strong again - and I am more than happy with accepting it.

Although, I would love to see Steps reunite. I still hope for a reunion - even 9 years after that fateful day.

1 comment:

  1. My first single? - 'Over You' by JUSTIN (you know, that well known black scottish boy from 'The Fame Game' on cbbc... the one that had regina from byker grove on it too!

    My first concert? - delirious?

    My first album? - S Club 7

    I love pop too! :)
    And I love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete