Tuesday 20 December 2011

Pantomimes - I'll marry the Princess Tamara...today!

You know what's coming when you see the first advertisement for 'Cinderella', or 'Peter Pan', or 'Jack and the Beanstalk', or 'Sleeping Beauty', or 'Snow White' with a brightly coloured background, and a vaguely recognisable face smiling at you.  It's Panto Season.

Deep down.  Deep deep deep deep down. I have a love for the eccentric advertisements and the popular way of providing Z-list celebrities with some spending money for Christmas.  But on the surface, I just love the horrific cultural references to whatever has been on in the news mixed with timeless classics such as naming the female love interest Tamara, just so the joke... "I'm going to marry the Princess Tamara" - "What you're marrying the Princess tomorra? That's awfully soon" - and then at the end, 'I'm going to marry the Princess Tamara...today!"  It's horrible, but yet, it's all part of a panto.  It's a little like a Christmas cracker...the bad jokes are all part of the fun...with a decent joke, crackers wouldn't be that fun or as stimulating.

I've been to a fair few pantos in my day.  My mum's birthday falls just before Christmas, and she loves pantos, so every year my family would take to a theatre to watch one.  I enjoyed the theatrics, the story, the 'He's behind you!' elements of the panto when I was younger.  I enjoy pantos now for the adult jokes (not X rated jokes, but jokes to entertain the parents), the celebrities, and the pure silliness of seeing people in a panto.

If you haven't been to a panto, go.  If you have, you may feel a hatred against them, or you may love them.  But, I think it's an experience we should all have in our memory.  So, go if you can...and if not, there's always next year....just look out for the brightly coloured adverts around the middle of November/early December time.

No comments:

Post a Comment